Breakfast and brunch is my favorite meal. This is the time of the day when we should eat the biggest portion of food and preferably full of nutrients. It is so easy to make something that is nourishing your body, let it be vegan, dairy free, gluten free or no dietary restrictions. This recipe uses dairy and the toast has trace amount of gluten only. I buy a local multigrain sourdough bread.
The simplest version of a Turkish egg is yogurt topped with a poached egg, drizzled with generous amount of chili oil and adding fresh herbs. Dill, chive goes really well with the yogurt. But you can add parsley, tarragon, mint, anything you prefer. This photo here shows this version.
For another version of Turkish egg I replace a part of the yogurt with a sour cream creamed sauteed sorrel and kale. This way you can add lots of green in the dish, providing more nutrition. You can use any kinds of green leaves that you like. However sorrel makes a huge difference. In case you haven’t tried it and you like tartness, you should give it a go. Sauteed sorrel tastes completely different from any other greens.
I seasoned the yogurt with only himalayan salt, minced garlic, EVO and chopped chive and dill. For the sorrel and kale sautee you will need EVO, green leaves (sorrel, kale, spinach, chard, etc) , sour cream, salt and black pepper. You can drizzle the plated dish with chili oil or use chili flakes. I garnished my plate with young sorrel leaves, chopped chive, dill, chili flakes, chive and garlic chive blossoms.
Ingredients (yields 2)
- 2 cups of your choice of yogurt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp EVO
- 1 tbsp chopped chive and dill
- 1 big bunch of sorrel leaves
- 1/2 bunch of kale leaves
- 3-4 tbsp sour cream
- salt, black pepper to taste
- 2 eggs
- For the creamed sorrel clean the green leaves, remove hard stalks. Pat them dry.
- Heat olive oil in a pan, add greens, pinch of salt and wilt them just for a couple of minutes. Drizzle a bit of water on it if it is too dry and starts browning. If you use sorrel, do not panic!!!! it will turn brown when cooking. The kale or spinach will help to keep the green color.
- Add the greens in your blender with the sour cream. Blend it to a creamy texture. If it is too thick you can add very little ice cold water.
- Season it with salt and pepper.
- Start boiling water for the poached eggs!
- For the garlic yogurt mince the garlic, or grate directly into the yogurt. Mix very well, add salt, pepper and the chopped chive and dill.
- Add some vinegar to the water.
- Always use fresh, good quality, preferably AA eggs for poaching.
- Poach eggs. (if you don’t like poaching, the dish is really good with a very softly fried egg too.
- For plating spoon the creamed greens around the plate, leaving a round spot in the middle to fill with yogurt and poached egg.
- Spoon the yogurt in the middle, place poached egg on top and garnish.
I served this dish with a very flavorful and colorful toast with vegan cayenne spiced garlic spread from https://www.majesticgarlic.com/. This has been my favorite spread for 3 years!!! On top of the garlic spread I had avocado cream, cherry tomatoes and purslane. This is such a pretty combination of really healthy and delicious ingredients.
Enjoy a good breakfast EVERYDAY!
One response to “Creamed sorrel and kale Turkish egg”
that looks delicious!